The girls and I went to the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness to photograph this waterfall that pours into Lower Willow Lake from Upper Willow Lake. Actually, I was the one who went to see the waterfall.. They went because they are into following me around because I keep giving them food.
So, if you took high school spanish, or are just wikked smaat to begin with, you know that Sangre de Cristo translates into 'Blood of Christ'.. One version of the story is that the range got its name because the alpenglow there trends toward the reddish end of the spectrum. Maybe the flat expanse of the San Luis Valley west of the Sangres (which is bigger than Connecticut) causes the relative angle of the setting sun to be lower, making it pass through more atmosphere by the time it hits the peaks, causing it to trend toward the red end of the light spectrum... (my theory) The other story is that some Spanish Priest got shot by an arrow in the mountains there and like in some Monty Python movie, exclaimed 'Sangre de Cristo!' (Im not dead yet...) as he lay there dying... Whatever you want to believe, man.. I trend toward the alpenglow story myself. Especially after seeing the rosy tones cast upon the lake and waterfall on what would become another stormy night in Colorado.
