Thursday, March 31, 2011

Today the girls and I went back to the Fourmile Creek/Crags area with the intention of getting some pictures of the route we took last time we were there.  That all went out the window though.  Instead of heading straight toward the Crags, I couldn't help but take a right onto a new trail that climbed steadily towards one of the ridges leading to the summit of Pikes Peak.  The trail I took today wasn't on the map, but I had a general idea where it was going to go.  Crags route is in red, todays route is in blue.




A good bit of the trail just beyond the trailhead is nice and clear.

It got snowy as soon as we turned off onto the other trail.  It was pretty consolidated though, so sneakers were perfect.

Approaching tree line.


Looking West from just below tree line.  The Collegiate Peaks Wilderness can be seen off in the distance.

I figured since I hauled the tripod all this way, I might as well use it.  Sorta made me nervous to set the camera up on the tripod on such a windy day with the dogs romping all around it, so I took one timed shot, and called it good.  

Slightly wider shot looking west from a bit higher up.